Saturday, August 22, 2009

Of Nicknames

The problem with my name is that it's made of 3 syllables. And it's not exactly, Filipino-tongue friendly.

However, I was never the one to give out a nickname for myself (well, if I were to choose, I'd sayHer Royal Highness Oliver Loyola! hahahaha). Most times, people give me my nicknames.

I've learned that nicknames does more than just simplify one's name. In my case, in particular, I feel like it's become more of a symbol.. kind of like, how a certain group of people perceive me. Interesting, no?

VER

At home, I grew up being called (in all manners - but most of the time pasigaw) "ber". OK, so my family's not really the "Inglisera" kind, hence, matigas ang dila. But the name itself - my god! so forceful! parang soldier...

It's name that NONE of my friends have adopted, to my relief. It's just soooo not me.

But somehow, it sounds OK when used within the four walls of our house.

OLAY

I remember back in high school I sent a "memo" (along with Reza who refused to be called Viclo) to the entire section to please stop calling me Olay...

Well, primarily because the folks at home were picking on me about my new nickname. It was, well, malamya...

Well, the ban didn't last. By the time I set foot in UPLB, somehow, Olay got leaked (by Lester, I think) and it caught on with all my blockmates, my roommates, and my classmates. I stopped fighting it.

I realized that the name wasn't THAT bad after all. It has a certain roll in the tongue. And it sounded quite malambing

OLAI

When I got to UP Diliman, Olay stuck but changed the 'y' to 'i' (hence, Olai) the differencee? well, you don't mistake reading it as Olay (the soap) when written.

BRU!!!

I got my first stint as Sound Engineer in Makati after graduation. Unfiiortunately for me, they're all subscribers of the rules of machissimo and were pretty homophobic. So they dropped the Olai (actually, i suggested it but they weren't actually comfortable using the name) and stuck with Oliver.

I had to bear with that dreary sounding, unmelodic, and lack luster name till I got to GMA.

I first offered up Olai but they were scared of using it... so they stuck with Oliver. But, of course, having 3 syllable is a bit of challenge so they oftentimes used the generic term of 'fondness': bro (which of coursemademe cringe)!

yuck!

"BRO"? me? eeeewwww

Anyway, some guy who had a killer sense of humor at some point (as a joke, I think) decided to call me Joliver. It stuck but was not THAT popular... I was still... Oliver.

Only my dear friend Gwen used Olai...

My friends in the music dept, well, stuck to "Oliver" as well. BUT, we made our own generic term of 'fondness': BRU (short fro "bruha"- hahahaha)

We were laughing our asses off (it came out as a long imaginative story which involves me getting discovered stalking one of our cute audio editors)

MARIA JOLIVIA

When I met my co-trainees back in MindShare, they embraced the Olai with open arms and even crowned me a new one: Maria Jolivia (c/o Gen), which, due to it's very "conservative" sound, I welcomed as well!

JOLIVER

Joliver made a comeback when I was in MAXUS.

I remember during onee of those Introduce-yourself-rounds I stood up flashed a beauty queen smile and said "I am Oliver Loyola, a Meedia Planner for and you can call me Joliver for long"

Naturally, benta siya. so I guess that's how Joliver stuck.

It was malandi as it is, but NOT as malambing as Olai nor as superfluously fabulous as Maria Jolivia.

OLA

And now in my new work, I got Ola (chika!)

I think I gave them Olai as well, but it didn't really sell. Andd then just one day, one of the girls started calling me Ola!!! (complete with beau con smile and the miss U intro intonation) and I guess that's that.

Bagay din naman, short, loud, at baklang bakla!

OLA!

1 comment:

There was an error in this gadget

Spread the Beckyness!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin