Saturday, April 11, 2009

The case of the melting ice queen

I was watching Ugly Betty Season 3 Ep 16 this afternoon...

It was the ep where Wilhelmina's BF, Connor, decides to steal from Mode and fly away with the money.

By the end of the ep, he eventually succeeds and leaves Wilhelmina in a flumped sabotage plan... While contemplating her loss of love and money, She tells Betty:

"He asked me to choose: him or my career... I spent my entire life building my career... In life we have to make choices... We can't have it all"


When I was in college, very emo and self-hating, I told myself that I'd have a high-powered career.... I'd be climbing ladders... destroying people's egos and commanding a room with just a movement of an eyebrow...


Ahhh... power and domination... the smell is of fresh leather, crushed grass, and burning insense. It's like being a cruel yet beautiful witch queen!


Kinda like the scene where Lady Galadriel goes: "Instead of a Dark Lord you shall have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!"


I wanted to rule! And impose my slef on the world! I shall drag everyone kicking and screaming to a Shangri-la that is of MY creation!

And then we were blessed by this lovely angel (or mischievous little imp, depends on your perspective, really. hehe):



And then I fell in love...



And I rediscovered how meaningful it was to have a happy family.



And suddenly... I feel like a career is not all it's hyped up to be...

In the end... I just wanted to make enough money to support myself and the people I love and live a nice life...

F*ck power... F*ck being filthy rich... F*ck fame...

I've turned soft and mushy...

And that is why here I am... in marketing enjoying a relatively slower-paced career in a big-but-not-mindblowing-kinda-big company...

Yeah... I'd settle for a modest life if that means I'll have all the people I love with me more.

1 comment:

There was an error in this gadget

Spread the Beckyness!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin